Tuesday, March 12, 2013

{Baby Swag} Stuff I Can Live Without

I am going to say something that I know you are not going to believe. Ok, here goes. You do not need to buy everything that everyone else buys for their babies. There, I said it. 

If someone told me that before Baby K arrived, I would have told them that they were nuts. Of course you need a Bumbo. Of course you need Sophie. They wouldn't be on everyone's registry's if you weren't supposed to buy them. Ugh, so stupid. The things you learn with the first, am I right? Here is a small list of typical "must haves" that I could have lived without. 
One - Two - Three - Four - Five

Bumbo - The amount of time your baby's bottom can actually fit in this thing is so minimal, it's hardly worth it. (If you have a chub-a-love like me). We used the Bumbo about 25 times, total. Most of the time we used it was when my husband and I needed a minute to eat and she wasn't big enough to fit in her high chair yet. Bottom line - borrow one from a friend. 

Sophie the Giraffe - Everyone touts this as the item you have to have, but Baby K won't entertain the idea of using this toy even though she's teething like crazy. Instead, she opts for these rings. Sophie definitely has a rubbery taste/smell to it, so I think that is what is so off-putting to Baby K. Bottom line, you don't have to have it.

Boppy - Ok, so I was not a breast feeding mom. I know that if I was, this would likely have been a necessity in my house. Not only did I purchase this before I knew what my breastfeeding situation was going to be, I also had an adorable cover made for it. Seriously, so cute. Where is my uber expensive pillow now? In the bin where I keep my dog's toys. Bottom line - figure out what your BF situation is going to be before running out and purchasing this (and an uber cute cover). 

Changing Pad with Cover - I never use mine. Why in the world would I want to change my baby sideways? What do I use instead? My bed, with a towel draped over it. Perfect height and you are able to address the situation (good or bad) head on. Bottom line - have one in the nursery, but you may never use it. 

Glider with Ottoman - Isn't this glider ridic? If I had almost $1,000 laying around, I would have bought it. Am I surviving without a glider and ottoman? Absolutely. My husband and I acquired a super comfy small couch before we were married. We couldn't part with it, so we reupholstered it and it looks amazing. Since we have a couch in the nursery, we had no room for a glider. Bottom line - a glider is a nice-to-have, but definitely not a necessity.

Everyone's situation is different -what works for me may not work for the next mom, I get that. But had I really known ahead of time that you may not need certain things, I would have probably held off on them for a while to see what was truly necessary and what wasn't. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Site Design By Designer Blogs